Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Housewife

[via mezzoalto]

When I express my want to be a housewife I'm usually met with shock. The response is usually people thinking I'm lazy or I have low self-esteem, or that I'm greedy and need to be pampered by Daddy Warbucks. I'm often confused by peoples extreme hatred for the life of a housewife. Feminism is about having a choice, and if a woman chooses to stay at home I hardly consider that to be demeaning.

I've been in the work force for four years now, I know that's not a very long time. But, I know for me I'm not cut out for the work force. I don't have an aggressive enough of a personality to survive in a excessively competitive environment.

I love cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, grocery shopping, etc. That's not saying that I wouldn't do some freelance work on the side. I would like to take some classes in graphic design. I feel with graphic design I can work from home and still be successful. That way I have my own money and I don't have to rely solely on a man.

As a child I never had daydreams of being a doctor, lawyer, or professor. My daydreams always revolved around my husband coming home to a cooked meal and being grateful for it.

I think for a long time I was trying to live a life of a modern woman who didn't want a husband or family. And trying to be that always left me feeling stressed. I know that my place is not in the work force, but in the home.

I find that a lot of modern women find it belittling to be submissive to a man. Sadly, people view being submissive to being controlled. Being submissive to your husband is allowing him to do what he's meant to do, and that's to be a provider and protector. Demanding respect is not going to get a man anywhere, and I find a man who demands respect is of weak spirit. People will respect you if you're a respectable person. A woman is not going to submit herself to a man whom she does not respect or trust would responsible enough to head the household.

Ephesians 5:22-33

 22 Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
 25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26 to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, 27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28 In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— 30 for we are members of his body. 31 “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.” 32 This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. 33 However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

2 comments:

  1. I just found you from Young People in Love - great post my friend!! I *love* being a (work at home) housewife - it is my calling and I daily am loaded with blessings from HIM as I follow in obedience!

    Glad to have found you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Amanda- Thank for coming over and I'm glad that you enjoyed the post. I'm always excited to meet other women who like being SAHW and SAHM, and are proud of what they do.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin