Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Brainy Girl


As you know I'm always reading and researching. In hindsight I should have majored in Biology instead of art. Out all the sciences I took Biology was my favorite, with Horticulture being a close second, followed by Anthropology. Hey, when I win the lottery I can go back to school and become a anthropomorphic biological horticulturalist, is that a field of study? Probably not, but I could make it one.

Any who, back on topic. I've been doing Paleo for about a month now to deal with the symptoms of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome aka PCOS. It seems more a more women are developing this disease now. But, it's basically the body developing cyst on the ovaries. Which can cause several things to happen, there's a list of 200 possible issues that can develop. My symptoms are insulin resistance (IR), weight gain,  hirsutism (female facial hair), and amenorrhea (lack of menstrual cycle.) And the sad thing is, I'm one of the lucky ones. There are people who have diabetes, endometriosis, deepening of the voice, etc.

And all these years I've been told that in order for me to lose weight I have to do a low-carb, high-fat, high-protein diet. So, I did Paleo. For the first couple for weeks I felt great, but now I feel a little run down. And I found out why, it's in our blood.



When blood is drawn and allowed to sit it separates into three parts, let say our blood is sitting in a tube. Red blood cells (sink to the bottom), white blood cells and platelets (fall in the middle), and finally plasma (which floats to top being the lightest.) Now, when we eat a high fat diet, our plasma becomes cloudy or extremely thick depending on how fatty our meal is/was. And our blood with stay like that for fours hours until our liver has had a change to process everything.

If you're having bacon and eggs for breakfast, salmon for lunch, and steak for dinner. Your body constantly has fat in the blood. Even lean cuts of animal protein can cause fat in the blood. Also a high-protein diet can cause osteoporosis. Calcium is needed to break down protein, and the most calcium rich source in out body are our bones. So, our body leeches calcium from the bones to digest the protein. I also found that the human body only needs 30 grams of protein a day. Most Americans average 150 grams a day.

If you want to know more there is a video on Youtube called Food That Kills. It's a in depth health conference discussing the human diet and how it effects us. Also, people of the Bible were vegetarian until the great flood. So, on that note I'm off to do more research.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin